Sunday, October 26, 2008

We Three Kings - The First King

Well… didn’t start out as a family of three “boys”. Several years had passed since we last had a cat in the household. The youngest of our brood had entered his teen years and was in agreement with the mother of the family that it was time to bring home a cat. After several weeks of presenting logical and not so logical arguments along with much cajoling we were able to persuade Papa Bear that a cat would be a perfect addition.

So the search began. We were looking for an older cat that needed a new home. Papa Bear said “no fluffy cats’ so our questions always included one about fur length. After several fruitless calls (cats had already found new families) we had a possibility. It was a 5 year old white short haired male cat named Angel. Two of his family members were allergic to him and the family was reluctantly looking for a new home for him. We met with his family and it was agreed we would come to pick him up in several weeks.

Several weeks passed and we eagerly headed across the city to pick up the new furry “baby”. We visited for a short while and then brought in a borrowed travelling cage to carry him home. When he sniffed the cage, he realized that something was about to happen (or maybe it was the smell of the two cats who usually travelled in this cage!) The ride home was not as quiet as it usually was and we found out that Angel had quite a loud voice when he wanted to use it.

So – we thought we had everything set for Angel as soon as he came into our home– fresh food and water, sleeping spot and litter box all ready for use. We went to bed leaving him still wandering around, sniffing at the new sights. In the morning, we came down and couldn’t find him anywhere. We called and called, and kept checking every room in the house with no success. It was horrible to think that we had lost our new cat in less than 24 hours and we didn’t look forward to phoning his previous owners to let them know. After an hour of searching had passed, we heard the faint sounds of footsteps on metal. We looked behind the TV and realized that he had pushed aside the loose grill on the air vent and had climbed down. We held some cat treats by the opening then all of a sudden a furry face popped into view. He climbed out and walked towards us, leaving dusty prints all over the floor. And he was no longer a white cat but a grey and white cat (dust from the vent). Cat proofing the house was our very next step after we had brushed Angel back to being a white cat.

Angel settled in quite quickly after that. He still loves to sniff at anything new in the house and is very much a ladies’ man. His affections lie with Mama Bear and youngest daughter. In fact, he is very loving in the morning when Mama Bear doesn’t wake up at the right time to feed him. He walks up to her face and gives her a little loving lick on the nose. If that doesn’t wake her, the lick turns to a little bite on that same nose. On occasion he becomes very annoying (I mean endearing!) and sits right on Mama Bear’s throat and mouth. This usually does the trick!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I have known over forty cats in my life so far and only one would greet me with the morning nose bite. Like Angel, it was her last resort in waking me up. I treasure the memory.